New foreign national faculty, grad students and residents need to contact these offices in the order noted below.
1. ISSS - International Student and Scholar Office - Note: this step is for graduate students and residents only
Appointment required for registration.
190 Humphrey Center, Minneapolis
- Mon -Thurs 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Mon -Thurs 1:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
- Fri 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Fri 1:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
2. Social Security Administration Office
1811 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis
Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Apply for social security number and get a receipt for the application.
- Double check the address used on the application. Social security cards sent to the wrong address are destroyed. If necessary, you may use the departmental payroll address.
Note: If you choose to apply for a social security card prior to seeing the University Central Payroll Office, it may cause a delay in your first payroll check from the University of Minnesota.
3. University of Minnesota - Central Payroll Office
1300 South 2nd Street, Suite 545, Minneapolis
Phone: 612-624-4585, Option 2
Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
4. School of Dentistry Human Resources Office
- Return receipts from the University Central Payroll office and the Social Security office.
- Complete any remaining forms (direct deposit forms, human resources information form, etc.)