Foreign Nationals

New foreign national faculty, grad students and residents need to contact these offices in the order noted below.

1. ISSS - International Student and Scholar Office - Note: this step is for graduate students and residents only

Appointment required for registration.

190 Humphrey Center, Minneapolis 
Phone:  612-626-7100 

  • Mon -Thurs 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. 
  • Mon -Thurs 1:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. 
  • Fri  10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. 
  • Fri  1:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. 

2. Social Security Administration Office  
1811 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis 
Phone:  1-800-772-1213 
Hours:  9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

  • Apply for social security number and get a receipt for the application.
  • Double check the address used on the application.  Social security cards sent to the wrong address are destroyed.  If necessary, you may use the departmental payroll address.

Note: If you choose to apply for a social security card prior to seeing the University Central Payroll Office, it may cause a delay in your first payroll check from the University of Minnesota. 

3. University of Minnesota - Central Payroll Office 
1300 South 2nd Street, Suite 545, Minneapolis  
Phone:  612-624-4585, Option 2 
Hours:  7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Bring original passport and other related forms.  For example:
  • I-20 for F1 Visa
  • DS-2019 for J1 Visa
  1. Complete all appropriate payroll forms as requested by Central Payroll.
  2. Complete all tax treaty forms if applicable.
  3. Ask directions to Social Security Administration Office in downtown Minneapolis
  4. Keep the receipt given to you from Central Payroll to bring to the departmental payroll office.  This receipt will  be used to appoint you on the University's payroll system.

4. School of Dentistry Human Resources Office 

  • Return receipts from the University Central Payroll office and the Social Security office.
  • Complete any remaining forms (direct deposit forms, human resources information form, etc.)